Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Doesn't everyone eat like this?

God, I'm good. At throwing together meals I mean. I wish they still had that TV show on the very early Food TV Network where one chef and one audience member who were contestants were given X number of ingredients and 20 minutes to do their best thing. I think I could win, maybe, I might.

Late Sunday I cooked a pork loin roast and although rushing it, it came out very nicely. Seared then tossed into high heat, but on a bed of apples and onions. So last night (Monday) I needed something quick before I left the house. Sauteed the lovely Oyster Mushrooms I could not resist at Whole Foods last Saturday (OK an indulgence - it was $5 for 1/2 a pound), added the leftover bits of onion and meat juice, plus green peas. Looking more like a soup so making a mid-recipe decision to go that direction, I added a couple of frozen cubes of turkey broth, soy sauce, hot pepper flakes and voila: Asian pork soup (or something). Quite nice, I thought, and such a great "diet" dish.

Unfortunately, by 9:00 was starving so indulged in a bowl of popcorn.

No comments: